Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Google

Google really does offer a lot of cool stuff in the area of integration. Like this one for people who use Google Voice (screenshots*, not the real thing!):



It's a "Call Widget" that lets people call me without knowing my phone number. Click it and you are asked to enter your name and phone number.



When you click the "Connect" button you get a phone call at the number you entered and then it will ring my phone number. I can also set up the widget so it goes directly to voice mail. There's also some other cool stuff, but I don't want to sound like an ad, so I'll stop now. *grin*

I don't know how the underlying program works, but I'd say that this "widget" would also likely meet the broader definition of a "portlet" as discussed in our presentation last week.

* I am not posting the real widget simply because I don't want every random web surfer in the world to be able to leave me messages or call me for no good reason.

7 comments:

  1. ya, as peter said ...there are many features of google voice.Even i dont want to just list all the features .

    But, it has got one good feature which is not available on my Apples iphone.... which I always wanted on my phone...I cant record calls that I receive on my phone.But with the help of google voice, I could add this feature to iphone..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, Any idea who pays for those phone numbers that are allotted to us since Google Voice is a free service ?

    Regards
    Sumantra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sumantra,

    Good question. I've wondered that about a lot of Google's products. I would guess it's supported by ad revenue, much like most of Google's operations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The majority of Google's revenue is raised by its Internet advertising. As a part of a project for a GSU class, we reviewed Google's financial statements for a better understanding of Google. Google is different from most of companies in that Google has no debt. It is said that a part of Google's endeavors is to fund multiple projects to find which ones will be future sources of revenues. The Google search engine was the first major accomplishment from Google. Some of what Google is doing is growth through acquisitions such as YouTube which conveniently is another Internet avenue for posting of Google ads. Google is worthy of future study for those with interest in new products and the many uses of the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No debt for Google? wow. Its search engine is the main power. I will try the google voice for sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete